Electric cars like model S, model 3, model X, and model Y have been made famous by Tesla. The company is considered one of the pioneers of electric vehicles, especially in the United States. It is also recognized for creating Lithium-ion battery energy storage and solar panels.
When Tesla unveiled its upcoming pickup, the Cybertruck, it generated a lot of excitement from many automotive enthusiasts. However, the release of the truck has been postponed several times. With what’s happening to Cybertruck, is it worth buying, or should you just pick another pickup truck?
Reasons why you’ll love Cybertruck
The Cybertruck may be worth waiting for if you need a truck with these qualities:
- Unique design: The looks of Cybertruck is unlike any other pickup truck on the market. While others find it unappealing, a lot of people like its futuristic, angular design. It does not have the bulky fender flares mostly seen in conventional pickups. Moreover, the rims do not have the same design as typical OEM and aftermarket wheels. Consider whether the design aligns with your taste.
- Durable: The truck’s body is made of ultra-hard 30X cold-rolled stainless-steel exoskeleton and armored glass. It is strong enough to withstand the impact from a 9 mm handgun round.
- Remarkable performance: Tesla has promised impressive performance from the Cybertruck. It boasts impressive performance specs with a range of up to 500 miles on a single charge. It has a zero to 60 mph time of under 2.9 seconds, which is outstanding for an electric vehicle.
- Good towing capability: Although Tesla’s truck does not look like a conventional pickup, it provides an astonishing towing capacity of up to 14,000 pounds.
- Competitive price: The Cybertruck is expected to start at $50,000 — reasonable pricing for an EV compared to other pickup trucks in its class. However, the higher-end models can cost significantly more. Consider whether the Cybertruck fits within your budget.
Interest in Cybertruck
Electric vehicles are disrupting the market of trucks with combustion engines. Many people are getting bored with the looks and features of traditional pickup trucks. They want something innovative and out of the ordinary, with reliable performance and a touch of modernity.
According to the tweet of Tesla’s CEO, Elon Musk, over 250,000 units were sold in just five days during the pre-selling period. The executive said they received massive pre-orders, before creating any changes to the production line.
The company has not disclosed the exact number of preorders in a long time. However, an online reservation tracker that fans created provides information about the assumed number of orders. According to the tracker, the pre-orders for had reached 1 million in May 2021. The number had reached 1.25 million by August 2021, and 1.3 million by November 2021.
In November 2022, the tracker shows more than 1.6 million reservations for the Tesla Cybertruck. Just because the company received a high volume of pre-orders, does not mean it will all assimilate into fully confirmed orders. But even if only 10 percent of the reservations materialize into actual orders, that shows a strong demand for Cybertruck, despite the several production delays.
The crowdsourced online tracker only shows an estimate and not an exact amount since it has no official affiliation with Tesla. But those who want to reserve a Tesla Cybertruck must pay $100. The amount is a fully refundable deposit in case the customers change their minds about buying the electric truck.
Reasons why Cybertruck may not be for you
Here are a few reasons why someone might decide that the Tesla Cybertruck is not worth buying:
- Availability: The delay in manufacturing dates caused Cybertruck to fall two years behind the original schedule. Some people may not want to commit to purchasing a vehicle that will not be available for some time. Worse — it could be delayed further. The production would begin by the end of 2023, so it is not ideal for those who want a new vehicle as soon as possible.
- Waiting time: The Cybertruck has faced several delays, but finally, they have decided to push through for 2024, so it will be available for purchase. Cybertruck may not be a viable option for people wanting to buy straightaway. Those who have placed reservations during the pre-order period have to wait until the end of the year for its production.
- Design: One of the potential downsides to consider is the unconventional design of Cybertruck since it may not appeal to everyone. The futuristic look sets it apart from other pickup trucks, but not everyone’s cup of tea. If you plan to use the vehicle as a towing rig, you cannot put headache racks, cargo nets, and other truck accessories used for hauling.
- Unconventional shape and size: Parking the Cybertruck can be challenging, especially in particular neighborhoods or some locations. Also, it can be hard to fit it in with a more traditional fleet of vehicles.
- Competition: Other automakers are starting to release their electric pickup trucks. Ford has released the electric version of its famous F-150 and called it Lightning. A light-duty truck called Ram 1500 REV from the Ram Brand has also been revealed to the public, showcasing pure electric capability. The startup manufacturer, Rivian, has also released an electric pickup called R1T. These vehicles may offer similar features and performance to the Cybertruck. However, these companies offer new vehicles with a more traditional pickup truck design and potentially a lower price point.
- New tech: It is crucial to consider if you are comfortable purchasing a vehicle from a relatively new and rapidly evolving automaker like Tesla. Despite the company’s success in terms of manufacturing EVs, keep in mind that unexpected issues or delays could still arise.
- Price: Although it starts at about $50,000, the price will increase if you want additional options. With two motors and an all-wheel drive, the price could start at about $60,000. Roughly $70,000 is the cost for the 3-motor version.
The choice is yours
Are you drawn to the unique design and impressive performance specs of the Cybertruck? Check out the reasons to evaluate if a vehicle is worth buying. It is crucial to weigh the pros and cons before a final decision. Always choose based on different factors, including your needs and preferences.